From Carson City, Nevada, we stopped by Dayton, on Highway 50 just east of Carson City. It’s a small, quiet town where history buffs and lovers of all things Old West will enjoy. Prospectors and settlers were drawn to the fertile valley because of both the Carson River and the promise of gold. In fact, the first discovery of gold in Nevada was found in what is known today as Old Town Dayton. Today, visitors to the area are charmed by its nostalgic board sidewalks and the shops, dining establishments, and homes located in buildings from Dayton’s historic past.
Dayton’s historic grammar school was built here in 1865 and used constantly until 1958. I is the oldest schoolhouse in the state that is still located at its original site. In 1990s the County gave stewardship of the schoolhouse to the historical society, who made it Dayton’s Museum.
This bucolic barn and wagon/carriage house is one of the oldest buildings in Dayton. Today it is a privately owned garage.
Originally the Birdsall Mercantile, this building was constructed with hand-quarried sandstone surmised to have come from a small rocky quarry off Pike Street.At one time it also served as a Wells Fargo & Co. Agency. Today it is the Dayton’s Justice Court complex.
Originally the Europa Saloon built in 1885, this local “watering hole” was rumored to have been one of Mark Twain’s haunts. It was moved to it’s present site in the early 1900s and was used as a bar through the years, although it was also a restaurant. A western bar/steakhouse occupies the premises today.
Known as the Occidental Hotel from 1889 to 1907.
Was built circa 1870 after the 1861 hotel. Union Hotel boasted a two-story outhouse that connected to the back doors of the hotel. Known as Gruber Hotel prior to the civil war. Now a private property.
was build in 1862 by the Odd Fellows, is one of Nevada’s earliest saloons and billiard parlors. Today a saloon and a dinner house occupy the building.
This was a site of a doctor’s office, a drugstore, and Dr. John Clark Hazlett’s residence. Tpday only the house structure, which is a private residence , remains.
Firehouse / Jail
The current structure was a firehouse with 1960’s wrought iron mail-order jail cells in back. Today the building is only open on special occasions or by appointment.
In 1937 the Yerington Roman Catholic Indian School Church was moved here and renamed Dayton’s St. Ann’s Catholic Church. It is not open to the public.
Early Comstock Structure
This building features architecture and construction typical of many early Comstock Buildings. This private residence is not open to the public.
Early “Jollity” Saloon
This building was the local “Hardy Gurdy House”. the early-day saloon provided female employees who danced with customers. Today the building houses a restaurant.